Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Trip to the Farmer's Market

You would not believe the massive zucchini squash I found at the local farmer's market this weekend.  Although I had no idea what I would do with it all, I knew that I needed to get some (if nothing else, for the photo opportunities!!).
As you can tell in the photo of the zucchini next to my arm, it is obviously not something you find in the grocery stores!

I decided to make a batch of zucchini bread.  This was another first for me.  I have made plenty of banana bread (which I made more of yesterday as well while I was at it!), but it was time to try something new.  The recipe I used comes from Hoosier Homemade.  I found it after looking around on Pinterest.


Zucchini Bread

3 Eggs
1 Cup white sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
3 Cups flour
2 Cups zucchini, grated

(makes 2 large loaves or 6 mini loaves)

After preheating your oven to 350 degrees, you will want to grate your zucchini so that it can sit and drain a bit while you prep the other ingredients.  I used my handheld cheese grater to grate the zucchini, but you could use a food processor as well.  Once your zucchini is grated, lay it out on a paper towel to absorb some of the moisture.


In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until they become foamy.  Add sugar, oil and vanilla and mix well.  Then add cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder and again mix well until combined.  Before adding the zucchini, dab the top with another paper towel.  Next, add the flour and zucchini, alternating between the two and mixing in between steps (I added one cup of each at a time).  

Lightly grease and flour your bread pans, then fill with batter.  Bake bread for 40-50 minutes.  Bread is done when you can stick a toothpick (or fork) in the middle and it comes out clean. 















To see some of my other finds from the farmer's market, go check out Produce at My Mind's Lens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...